NORTHAMPTON - facts and figures
In the Saxon Chronicle Northampton
is recorded as "Hamtune"
In the Domesday Book Northampton is
recorded as "Northantone"
In the reign of Edward The Elder Northampton
was held by the Danes, and in the year 1010, after suffering severely from
the desolating struggles between these
invaders and the English it was almost ruined by Saxon troops who burnt
In 1675 Northampton was nearly destroyed
by fire which was first discovered at noon when a strong west wind arose
blew the flames to some thatched buildings
in St. Mary Street and being carried back to Horsemarket, spread its ravages
Derngate. By four 'o' clock upwards
of 600 houses wherein dwelt 700 families had been consumed by the fire.
The King (Charles II) constituted a
thousand tons of timber and seven years chimney money, (collected within
to help rebuild the town.
Northampton has had a great reputation
for it's boots and shoes and also it's breweries.
The branch canal was constructed in
1815 from the River Nene to the Grand Junction Canal.
In 1881 tramways of about 5 and a half
miles in extant were laid down from St. James End, (west of the town), to
the racecourse on the east, and from
the Drapery to Kingsthorpe (north) and Far Cotton (south). Tramlines also
Abington Square to Abington Park.
The borough was extended on Nov 9th,
1900 to include parts of the Urban District of Far Cotton, Kingsthorpe,
and parts of Abington and Dallington.
Population and Houses from the Census
Year - Population - Occupied Dwellings
1831 - 15,351 - 3,091
1841 - 21,242 - 4,138
1851 - 26,657 - 4,886
1861 - 32,813 - 6,150
1871 - 41,168 - 7,804
1881 - 51,881 - 9,658
1891 - 61,012 - 11,488
1901 - 87,021 - 17,602
1911 - 90,064 - 18,950
1921 - 90,895 - 19,893
1931 - 92,341 - 23,141
1941 - No Census Taken
1951 - 104,432 - 30,677
1961 - 105,421 - 35,045
1971 - 133,800 - 45,885
1981 - 157,217 - 61,083
The borough boundaries were extended
in 1901, 1931, 1965 and 1974.